Here’s how to start your local program:
1. Consult your area Sports and Program Manager
2. Read and sign your local coordinator agreement and fill out the Accreditation Packet.
3. Have eligible athletes submit the NEW Athlete Participation Form which must be completed and signed by a physician, a physician’s assistant or a chiropractor. If you need assistance, Special Olympics Georgia can help provide health screenings.
4. Submit all forms to Special Olympics Georgia, 4000 Dekalb Technology Parkway, Suite 400, Building 400, Atlanta, Ga 30340
5. Recruit and train coaches to prepare athletes for competition. Coaches can receive specialized Special Olympics Georgia training at coaches clinics and Sports Camp.
6. Select sports and train athletes according to what’s offered in upcoming area and state competition.
7. Form a management team.
8. Raise money. Contact your Sports and Program Manager for ideas.
See the guide below to help you through the process.
Comprehensive Resource Guide
This is the agencies’ guide to resources that are necessary to have athletes compete in Special Olympics events. In the guide, you will find everything from financial forms, to volunteer profiles, to competition rules and scratch sheets.
Sports Plan 2016-2020 – Here is our sports plan laid out for you. This document includes information on the proper procedure for Mini-sports camps (Coaches Clinics), local games, area games, state games, and much more.